Saturday 6 November 2010

71. Al-Muqaddim – Preparing the Way


Suggests advance, forewarn, those going before --- 'my father 
moved through dooms of love' ee cummings  

Ghosts
At my Aunt’s funeral
the relatives were looking at knees and toecaps
in those little moments where words
feel not quite right – less conditioned
spots of vacancy and mystery
made empty by the undertaker screwing down the wooden lid’s
four corners with a practical turn of his wrist.

Next day we caught sunny weather
and my Uncle, face alight, skeleton moving,
screwed the top off a whiskey bottle
he’d had his beady-eye on for 21 years
‘You can only drink it when I’m gone’
she’d said;
and the liquid winked in the light.

Follow
When I see an elder,
Father sails there before me;
when I meet a mystic,
hum within me – Mum.

‘Did you climb up a tree,
did you eat up your pud,
did you summit the hill,
do you make your own bed?’

Thirsty, I follow
the spring of tomorrow
and yesterday’s mystery
is a bird in a bush.

Mam, will you hold me, Da’, will you show me
truth and connection, a handshake, a blush.

2 comments:

  1. How perfectly lovely! Thanks so much for posting! I read your Tweet and came over! I'll follow your blog. You are welcome to visit mine - very eclectic: poetry, photography, humor, musings, essay, etc. Here is the address:

    http://paulatohlinecalhoun.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I really like that you have accompanied your prose with an emotive pic. I enjoy your poetry, which is rare for me. That is all, except to say; @jack9eight5 was here, by the way.

    ReplyDelete