Sunday 7 November 2010

39. Al-Muqit – A Steady State


Suggests sustainer, maintainer, nourishment -- 'If more
of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold,

it would be a merrier world' J.R.R. Tolkien

Rules for Life
Why Am I Talking?
Let’s Include Some Thing Else Now

Despite Andrew’s love, 
it might seem boring
to recycle the same
nursery rhymes every day
in this order – Three Pigs, Three
Bears, Billy Goats Gruff, Jack and the Beanstalk;
a wolf, the porridge, the chair and the little bed,
the bridge and the troll and a repeatedly thudding axe

and when I’m asked
again, again, it’s hard
to keep it up - muster and talk
through the same old tale; until he eventually
gets a charmed look, away
and freshly lost in a dream
of yokefellow story.

2 comments:

  1. I named my kid Jack, and he loves nursery rhymes too. He's two. We've worn out Hansel and Gretel and the Three Little Pigs. But, yeah, that time of repetitive telling is sacred. After all, we named him Jack for a reason. Thanks for the perspective. Great quote too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your poem. Brings me back to when my children were small. My daughter is 22 and my son is 11. Nursery rhymes are precious. They take us back to when we were young too.

    ReplyDelete